Monday, March 21, 2016

Fact and Opinion

Happy Spring Break! We are finally on spring break, and I get the chance to blog and catch up again! Right before we go on spring break, we get to have conferences with our families, which is amazing, but it definitely took some time to get ready to share great news with my families.

Before we headed off on break, we were getting ready to start a nonfiction reading and writing unit.  I love this time in 1st grade because the kids learn new things through reading, but also get to discover that they know things that they can share with others and become experts in!  It is exciting.  Before we get to this point, we have to do some talking about what is a fact and what is an opinion...which can be quiet the task in 1st grade.

We dove into this through our writing mini lesson, then in work with partners.  I started by modeling my thinking about facts and opinions while reading a national geographic book about Monkeys.  As I read, I would  make comments like, "The monkey has a tail" or "He is so cute and fluffy".  As I made my observations, we would take notes, sorting my observations into facts and opinions.
We spent a lot of time qualifying a fact and an opinion.  We decided that facts are things that are true, they can be observed or seen by other people, and we can prove them in some way.  Opinions are things that we might feel, or ideas we might have, but they might not be true, different people might feel different ways, and we cannot prove them.  We used lined paper, but you could also use this page:


After modeling with the kids, they set out with partners to create their own lists.  While the students were working, I monitored each group to check in and see how they were qualifying their facts and opinions.  I was able to monitor, and reteach with a few groups as they were working so that the first graders knew what a fact was, and what an opinion was.

At the end of the lesson, the students had to return to their seats and write down a fact on a blue sticky note and an opinion on the pink sticky note.  From there, we posted our sticky in the correct category at the end of writing.  A few students also shared their sticky before posting it to the board.  I loved this ending piece because I was able to see who understood a fact/opinion, who needed some reteaching, and if students could sort their facts and opinions.


post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment